Thursday, April 2, 2009

Scary Times

So, our nation is definitely in a time of crisis. I feel like the state in which i work is also up against major heartache as our governor seems pretty hell bent on not taking the stimulus money that every other state has accepted.

It seems that his personal desires to "be right" are outweighing the implications that are ahead for every person in South Carolina regardless of whether he is right or wrong. If he doesn't accept the stimulus money - it would result in major layoffs to many organizations, and I'm scared to say that i'm nervous for my own job and those around me if he doesn't change his mind. Regardless of whether Obama's stimulus package fails or succeeds - we'll be involved in paying money back as citizens of the USA. The only different for South Carolina folk is that we won't have benefitted from any of the stimulus money being put into the economy in our state.

I am not pretending to know everything about this situation. But the state of our economy is starting to sink into my system a bit. It's all becoming so real that i can taste it. I can feel the pinch on my paycheck, i can feel the tension in our organization. I see the scared look on everyone's faces...

Today as i was driving back to work from a meeting, i saw a middle aged woman standing on the side of the road near a shopping center holding a sign:

"Please help - Single mother of 2 and lost my job"

It's all around us. Even on street corners in tiny towns. You can't escape it.

I guess today the prayer of the hour is that our governor can step outside his own personal agenda and know that his decision impacts so much more than just his future political career. If anything- but making this decision based on a political agenda, he's showing us that being right is more important than anything else. And while i love to be right (who doesn't?) - sometimes that isn't always the bottom line.

1 comment:

  1. Mark Sanford is trying to position himself to run for President in 2012...so that's what this is about. Last I heard, he wasn't rejecting it all but alot of it. He's not alone though unfortunately--a group of Republicans also are doing it (Sarah Palin-AK, Rick Perry -TX, Haley Barbour -MS, Bobby Jindal -LA and Bob Riley -AL). It's pure politics and it messes with people's lives. If they were REALLY doing it for the reasons they claim (it would put the state on the hook for more $ later), and it was accurate, then that would be one thing. But this is pure politics as usual. And it's dirty, I agree.

    ReplyDelete