Thursday, February 26, 2009

My name is...my name is...

So i don't mean to write another post about my name. Hang in there with me - because i'm going to tell you a funny story instead.

A little background: I recently started a new job (as in...around June 2008), but prior to that i worked in a role for about 4 years. I worked in a small office 3 full time staff and one part time staff person. Even though we worked as part of a bigger organization we had our own little "house" so we were separate from everyone else. Sort of isolated. I say this to reinforce the fact that it was really impossible to not KNOW or talk to each other. My first half of working there - i really enjoyed my other 3 co-workers, but then management changed and everything sucked.

It was definitely everything i could do to stay and finish out my graduate degree before packing my desk because i disliked the management so much. And in such close quarters - it's hard to pretend like you are happy.

Anyway - several friends of mine still work at said organizations in other areas so they come into contact with my old boss on a semi regular basis. They've heard the horror stories and have had a few of their own - so it's always funny when i get an update now that i'm happy in my new role.

So my friend, G, shared a story with me last week about how she ran into my old boss at a work event. She begrudgingly said hello as they fixed their coffee and he says:
"Hey G - how are you?"

G: "Good - how are you?"

"Pretty good - say, how is your friend?"

G: (imagine if you can a confused look on G's face) "Who?"

"Oh you know - you guys are good friends, you always hang out."

G: (imagine yet another dumbfounded look) "Umm...I'm not sure, i hang out with a lot of people."

"You know - she left?"

G: (for those of you who know her you don't have to think too hard about the look that came next: the judgy face) "You mean Dre?"

"Yah! Dre - how is she doing?"

G: "She's really happy." And then the conversation ends abruptly.

I mean really - I worked with this guy in an office with 3 other people for two years and i've been gone since June (that is only 8 months) and he doesn't remember my name? I mean - i was his employee. One of THREE.

I'm not sure whether i should be completely insulted or just nod my head and remember the #1 reason i left in the first place.

1 comment: