Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Journey: Being Prepared means...PREPARING!!

This is my 2nd entry (we'll get caught up soon!)

Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 12:24pm
Before I get into the whole Preparation thing I have to share this.

I usually have weigh in days on Friday. So today is Thursday and i just want to put it out there that i'm feeling good about this week BEFORE i've even gotten on the scale. It's hard - you want to see the number on the scale before you feel good about yourself. But i'm trying to take into consideration other things like - how my pants fit this morning. 6 months ago i couldn't even button them, today they were lose. Small victories along the way are some of the best rewards on this journey.

I think that a lot of people who are trying to lose weight, get fit, etc set themselves up for failure because you expect too much, too soon. I'm here to tell you - slow and steady wins this particular race.

Anyone can starve themselves for a week and drop a big number. But is that sustainable - is that how you want to live your life? I don't. I gotta be honest - i like to eat good food!

One of the best things i've done in this journey started about a year ago. It was simply a matter of preparing in advance. My then boyfriend (now fiance) and I both were trying to save on money and i wanted to try and eat better. So we decided we would start making a grocery list together and pick four meals and just split them. Each of us would eat the same meal twice during the week.

So if you're not following me:
1. Find someone who wants to get on this healthy train with you - make a commitment to shop together (YOU GET TO SPLIT YOUR GROCERY BILL IN HALF!!!)
2. Pick out 4 meals that look yummy and are healthy. (I suggest www.eatingwell.com, and www.cookinglight.com - they both have loads of yummy recipes. Salads, entrees, sides, etc)
3. Commit to spending a few hours together on the weekend or an evening where you cook all your meals together.
4. Invest in some tupperware and pre-portion all the meals. Take yours home, and the other person takes theirs home.
5. Now all you have to do is pop your pre made meal in the microwave/oven or just eat it if its a salad.

The great thing about this is - you know how many calories are in it - because you PICKED it in advance.It forces you to try new things because you don't want to eat the same things all the time. Sure you will find a few staple recipes - like chicken or tuna salad - and you can have fun mixing up the seasonings etc to give it a different spin.

We've been doing this for over a year. It's great because it costs a lot to shop alone and eat alone. If you can find a friend, co-worker, neighbor or your bf/gf, finance, wife/husband, sister, etc who wants to commit to be fit, you can dramatically lower your grocery bill. I spend an average of $50 at the grocery each week. Now this includes breakfast for 5 days, 8 meals (lunch and dinner), healthy snacks like yogurt, granola, 100 calorie popcorn, etc and drinks. It often includes household items as well - like shampoo or dog food for my puppy.

What i'm saying is - preparation can help you save money and be healthier. Now some of you may be thinking - 8 meals? That's not enough for Monday - Friday lunch and dinner. Well, here's the thing, last time i checked, i was human. Sometimes things come up and i need to go out with an employer for lunch or my friend is having a crisis and needs to meet for dinner. I allow myself 2 meals during the week to "go out." I still try to make decent choices. I love to go out to eat, so this helps me keep it in check in terms of healthy eating habits and spending money!

What about breakfast, you ask? We pick out a healthy breakfast and just eat the same thing all week long. Right now - we're on this bagel thins, turkey sausage and reduced fat cheese breakfast sandwich kick. It's delicious and under 300 calories (even with my coffee and reduced fat creamer).

So there is still a lot of room for personal taste here. Being prepared is the best thing you can do for your journey to be successful. Even if you aren't trying to lose weight - this idea is great for people looking to save money and time. And on the weekends - keep in check. Everything in moderation - but a little room for freedom and fun.

Don't forget to check in next time for more updates and tips on "The Journey" and check out my first entry from last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment