Friday, March 12, 2010

Points In Your Corner

I've had one of those weeks that I'd label as "not my normal week." I didn't hit my calorie burn every single day which is not the norm for me. I didn't get to eat all my prepared meals for lunch which is not the norm for me. And i felt really tired this week which - you guessed it - is not the norm for me.

I also didn't get to write this post yesterday - which is not the norm for me. But last night, after i finished team teaching TurboKick, i literally had sweat dripping off me onto the gym floor and i thought to myself - I couldn't have pushed any harder tonight than i did. And i felt good about my workout. And i envisioned this last week being a boxing match and hearing the bell ding in my corner: Point for Dre.

It's at the end of these extra challenging weeks that i have to remind myself to re-focus. Notice the little things again to keep my goals on track.

So I've been doing ChaLEAN Extreme everyday - and I've noticed some changes happening. For those of you who aren't familiar with the program - it's a extreme circuit training program - dvds so you can do the weightlifting and cardio at home. I'm doing this in addition to my normal work outs (minus the weightlifting - CE is enough weights for me!).

When i started this program 3 weeks ago - we had to do pushups. I hate push ups. Chalene on the video always saysbefore we do them: "If you hate pushups, it's because you don't do pushups." So one of my goals is to love pushups by the end of this adventure. I have to say that i'm really wimpy when it comes to arm strength - so big girl pushups are a challenge. But I've noticed a small change this last week - and guess what? My push ups aren't QUITE as wimpy as they were 2 weeks ago and i may be able to try a few big girl pushups (not on my knees) next week. It's the small things, right?

So Fridays are my weigh in day - and after a week of not the norm - I was more than a little nervous about facing the scale today. I told my fiance last night to "think thin thoughts" for me. I woke up dreading the scale. I hate mornings like this. I often find myself looking forward to get on the scale because I believe i've worked hard enough to see a result I'll be happy with.

Today I lost .2 pounds. So it wasn't a big win. Then i remembered my own advice and took the time to measure today. I actually lost an inch from my waist, bust and arm. That's right. Another point for Dre and let's call it: Progress.

I often have to remind myself to follow my own advice - to remember that there are many ways to "win" this battle and every week winning looks and feels a little bit different.

Today i'm focused on the tiny changes creeping up on me.
Small wins:
A stronger push up (point for Dre)
Lifting heavier weights for the row exercise in burn circuit 2 for Chalean Extreme. (ding ding - another point)
Teaching my first full hour of Turbo Kick solo. And you know what? I made it. I didn't wimp out - i didn't lose my way and i remembered to smile and look up. (triple points for Dre)
Losing inches means my clothes fit better than they did a month ago. And overall - I feel good that each week i'm making strides (no matter how small) to be the better version of me that i have envisioned for myself. (ding, ding, ding!)

This is so important! It will always be a challenge to keep that vision of a better you within reach. Often times we lose sight of our goals when things get busy, or something else starts taking priority. But even during the hardest weeks to stay on track - you have to promise yourself to give it all you've got. Even if it's 20 minutes less than usual - or the weights aren't as heavy as they could be. Some effort is better than no effort at all and you HAVE to really embrace that to stick to your goals long term. If things get busy with family, work, friends - still make an effort - even if its small to work toward your vision of a better you. Don't have time to do an hour of cardio? Well, you have 10 minutes to run, right? Remember - something is better than nothing. And you are worth it.

Make a list of the little things that keep you going - keep stock of them and continue to add to the list. Seriously - write it down. If you don't have a clear vision in your mind of who you are becoming, then i challenge you to really take some time to see it. And find a way to hold onto it at all times. Sometimes my vision gets a little blurry - and I'm glad in those moments that i wrote it down, that i told my best friends and they are able to make things clear again. And this helps me keep going, even when it's tough.

Ding! It's a knockout.

No comments:

Post a Comment