Monday, July 19, 2010

The Next Days Aren't So Far Afterall

If i were writing them - it might go something like this upon first try.

If someone were counting, it would be 75.
And at 15 that might have seemed like forever -
A summer time of waiting
But now it feels so close, like 75 might be day after tomorrow

The questions are the same, just from different people
Opinions from everyone, advice shelled out
I hear you

But behind all that buzzing conversation
I find myself clinging to one simple phrase
that i knew so long ago
the one that little girls practice
and teenagers swoon over before, during, and after a romantic movie
The part where i say "I do" and you do, too.

Pieces of marital advice, it's like people preparing you for the worst
And yet, this countdown feels like I'm ready to put that part behind me
And start a whole new chapter of firsts

I tried on the wedding band you had made for me with your mothers diamonds
and it felt like it should be on a prettier hand
but you told me that wasn't true in your own way

For the first time - I'm positive. There isn't a hesitation,
i know it's you and me. Forever. I Do.

aa

No comments:

Post a Comment