Monday, October 19, 2009

I'll Miss You My Little Blackness







We got little black dog when i was 14. She was the tiniest little thing ever. Full grown she was a whopping 10-11 pounds, so you can imagine her as a puppy. She fit in a little Easter basket when we first got her - i remember taking her picture in it on my floral bedspread and she just sat there - too little to even try and jump out.





She was black and red. A miniature dachshund. She had the cutest little white belly when we first got her. Never once did she ever snap at me or anyone. She loved to just be near you - sitting on the couch, in the recliner, laying in the floor. She had her favorite blankets that we kept scattered through our house and often times you'd find her buried in between the folds. She always liked to burrow in them to stay warm and secure.






At night, she'd always sleep in my little twin bed with me. She was a little fire pit, always so warm which was nice in the winter and terrible in the summer heat. It was always so frustrating because she could never jump on and off the bed, so you'd have to constantly put her down, pick her up - especially in the morning time when she wanted to be let 0ut.

I wish she could have slept next to me one more time. She was always such a good little cuddler. Whenever i'd visit my parents, she would follow me around into everyroom. Sit next to me every single chance and her tail would wag at the sound of my voice.

She was my little black dog. Duchess Mahogany Splendor. That was her registered name - we called her so many things. Duchess, Dutch, Blackness, Black Dog, Perro de Negro (i was taking spanish in high school right about the time we got her).

I loved her so much. 14 years. How could you not love someone who has been in your family for 14 years? I'm gonna miss her so much. Going back to my parents house and her not being there will be the hardest. i would always look for her first - and i'm so glad that everytime i saw her, i spent some time with her and told her how much i loved her and how good she was. Because she was.

I'll miss you black dog.


1 comment:

  1. I totally forgot about that senior picture...I have it, somewhere. Of course.

    ReplyDelete