Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Why the Chicken Crossed the Road

I have made plenty of bad decisions in my time. I absolutely believe I will make more bad decisions in the future.

But what I struggle with the most, is letting someone else figure out they are making a bad decision. I know, i know. Experience is the best teacher. But it is in my nature to try and save people. Save them from themselves, from the heartache, from the potential pain, from so many things that i've experienced myself.

Ultimately, it's me making a judgment call. It's me saying "I'm right." And i get that in the end, I don't really have a say. And there is a chance I'm wrong - there always is that chance. But i think when you are on the other side of the road waiting for the next person to cross - your vantage point could be clearer than theirs. But shouting "Come across now!!! It's safe!" to someone who thinks they don't have time to make it will probably sound like crazy advice from where they are standing.

What do they say? Hindsight is 20/20. I look back and see all the times i should have take that leap of faith and ventured across the road even if it did seem sort of scary at the time. Even if the sound of the oncoming car was overwhelmingly loud - even if i saw the smoke in the distance and it seemed like a speeding bullet. And i wonder how much farther along on the other side of this road would i be if i hadn't waited so long to just do it?

In the end, I can't go back and change things. And ultimately, I'm happy now with the side of the road i'm on. But i know that there are probably some scary jaywalks ahead of me, I'm not going to pretend that things will be perfect and clear from here on out.

But when i turn around and i look at those scattered on the other side...those that are still so hesitant to cross...I see them sticking one foot on the the roadway and immediately stepping back and I wonder - what is stopping them? What do they see coming in the distance that keeps them right where they are?

I keep stopping to yell "I'm right here - just cross the road. I'll keep an eye out for you" - but it falls on deaf ears.

Somehow the space between us is so manageable to me and yet so unfathomable to you. It's hard to trust me - when it's not my life. I understand that.

But i want better for you....I want you to see things from this side of road.

It's so much clearer over here. I swear it is.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

He finally figured out how.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's very hard to see the other side of who we are and who we'll be...and our roads are never the same as someone else's.

    We all have our different paths and sometimes, they just don't intersect and it's painful stuff when you reach that point.

    I guess all we can do is buckle our seatbelts, and pray we make it somehow.

    ReplyDelete